Thursday, June 2, 2011

REALLY?! School food not fit for human consumption (IMHO)

I came across something very scary the other day



Had it not come from this package I probably wouldn't have known what it was... 




Yes, my friends. That is a "bean and cheese burrito" that is served to our children at school. Appetizing, right!? Just wait until you check out the USDA-approved nutritional content. 
Pay special attention to the sodium:



42% of your child's entire day's allowance of salt is in this burrito. Part of that surely comes from the deliciously gooey American cheese that's inside--which makes for a very tasty Fernando's El Extremo burrito--with authentic Mexican flavor! Mmmmmmmmm Go grab one at a school cafeteria near you!



REALLY, USDA!? REALLY?!??! Is this the best thing you can come up with to meet your standards for school meals?! Sigh...

The face on my roommate when I showed him what I found says it best



That, my friends, is the look of disgust. Good job, USDA!

The funny thing is I asked a coworker of mine what she thought of the food her daughter was receiving at school, and although she wasn't too impressed with it she told me that her daughter wouldn't eat a homemade lunch because that would make her feel different. OK, so you're willing to have food that isnt' fit for human consumption become part of your growing child's body, because you are afraid of her being teased when she comes to school with a bag lunch from home. Is this what the world has come to?

Parents: if you're not willing to stand up for what is right, if you're not willing to run the risk of your child being "different" because his/her parent actually cares about his/her health...then go ahead, let the government keep on doing what it's doing. Support dangerous subsidies that make producing "food" like this possible. Because clearly our kids are benefiting. But if you're not okay with your children getting pumped full of junk government cheese, make a stand. Do something radical, like PACK A HOMEMADE LUNCH. My mom did that for me (thanks, Mom!) and I turned out just fine.

I think we'd all agree that if we are ever to make a change in this country, it has to start as a grass-roots effort. Because if we're waiting for the government to catch up with the needs of the people...well, we're going to be eating a lot of American cheese-flavored Mexican burritos before that happens.


5 comments:

  1. these might not be healthy, but they are GOOD AS FUCK, have you ever had the meat one? BEST FOOD EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I had one of these yesterday. I took a bite of my sons burrito and it was el delicious. This is one of the best frozen burritos I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really shouldn't knock it before you try it. I love the breakfast burritos so much when my school stopped serving them I when to the warehouse and bought an entire crate. I'm enjoying one right now, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is old as crap, but you these are good as hell. Best processed food ive eaten in my life no contest.

    ReplyDelete